Summary: This patch is a bunch of polishing maps, with a focus on performance and bug fixing! We play Spacemen every Saturday at 11 AM PST! Join our Discord chat to take part in the fun! Also, about 90% of this patch consists of changes and fixes from direct community feedback via the Discord server. Real talk.
- Abduction: Leveled out a terrain dip that could cause player's to get stuck in the tunnel by the EME.
- Abduction: Added better lighting to the broken roof hole to make it more obvious there is a hole in the ceiling.
- Abduction: Moved various objectives and item spawns a bit closer to the house.
- Abduction: Added a few fences and rocks as cover in the more open areas outdoors.
- Abduction: Widened the second story chimney drop to make the drop easier for players.
- Abduction: Moved a few of the more sneaky Research Samples into slightly more obvious locations. (Example: One that was behind the generator is now slightly to the side of the generator.)
- Abduction: Added some additional furniture to some of the rooms on the first floor of the house.
- Echo: Improved some art in various parts of the station.
- Echo: Signage fonts have been improved and adjusted some.
- Echo: Added some covering geometry above the doors in The Tube, along with some lighting improvements particularly near the EME platform by the Engine Room.
- Echo: Massive Level of Detail (LOD) improvements, cutting down about 50% of the rendered polygons at distance. This should yield some good performance gains not only on Echo but also other maps that share similar assets.
- Hypertrain: Fixed a door rotation bug that occured after repairing doors with a welder.
- Hypertrain: Some art improvements, particularly regarding the floors in some areas. Less stretched textures, more detail.
- Hypertrain: The glass in the showers of the green Bunk Car now has a texture, making it easier to see where glass is (and isn't.)
- Fixed issues with the Generator looking super low detail even when close to it
- Fixed potential issue with characters being unable to properly drop off ledges while crouching
- Welder range increased from 150 to 300. To repair doors, you typically still need to be aiming at the door panel or doorframe.
- Research Sample and some other objectives have better LODs as well, cutting down on wasted polygons, meaning your GPU is working a lot less hard in some areas.
- Glass has been changed to be rendered with the scene, yielding much higher performance in maps with lots of windows. Some minor visual side-affects may occur in certain scenarios.
- Glass now has a more obvious texture and is overall less translucent.
- Transmitter text has been simplified and font has been changed slightly. Now Transmitters will read "OFFLINE" "IN PROGRESS" and other shorter phrases than they had previously, for more direct clarity of what's going on with a transmitter.
- Transmitters are now slightly less CPU intensive, and a little smarter in how they signal their status across the network.
Summary: This patch is just a bunch of quality-of-life bug fixes, for the most part. We play Spacemen every Saturday at 11 AM PST! Join our Discord chat to take part in the fun! Also, about 90% of this patch consists of changes and fixes from direct community feedback via the Discord server. Real talk.
- Fixed incorrect icon on the "Sorry" emote in the Emote Radial Menu
- Post game scoreboard now shows who is talking, indicated by a blue speaker icon next to their name on the scoreboard
- Cameras should no longer go black after the power goes out.
- Stun Baton should no longer loop its "zapping" sound in spots it was used last.
- Reduced Stun Baton charges to 6, from 8.
- Fixed various issues with flamethrower and welder sounds/effects persisting after the weapon has stopped firing, or when pulling the weapon out after firing it as you put it away.
- Repositioned third person muzzle effect on Flamethrower to be closer to the actual muzzle instead of floating in front of the weapon.
- Fixed bug where transforming while holding a sealed sample would make your first person gun show up while in monster form. [Thanks Sirbungee for providing reproduction steps!]
- Fixed bug where Pilot helmet showed Level 22 to unlock, but it actually unlocks at 25. (Now it shows 25 and unlocks at 25.)
- The ramps and bridges on Tidal Lock now glow on the edges for better visibility of viable pathways.
- Tons of objects now have additional "Level of Detail" (LOD) meshes. These LOD meshes allow objects to drop to lower detail when further away, meaning your PC spends way less time and energy rendering polygons that you can't even see. This means Tidal Lock, and most other maps, will perform better on lower end PCs. High end PCs may also experience some performance gain from this.
- Some menus, such as the Main Menu or Lobby, now do a quick fade in animation instead of abruptly appearing onscreen.
- Fixed issue where clients would see an incorrect (or blank) Server Name at the top of the pre-game lobby screen.
Summary: New patch. No vlog this time, but lots of great fixes, new parasite animations, weapon responsiveness, and more! I (Zag) am now hosting weekly community matches at 11 AM PST, every Saturday on our Discord! Don't miss out! Read on for dev vlog and patch notes!
General / Spacemen Gameplay:
- In an effort to make things more responsive on clients, even (especially) when laggy, many tweaks have been made to make gunplay and other interactions feel much smoother and more responsive.
- You can no longer interrupt your button push animation with another button push if you are already pushing a button.
- Weapon switching is now instant on the client side, meaning even if you're lagging, you can still switch to your other weapon right away with no lag or delay.
- Firing effects (sounds, recoil) have all been moved to the client, meaning firing a weapon feels more instantaneous even if the resulting bullet takes a moment to hit its target due to high latency.
- The prompt and interaction for stealing a keycard instantly goes away now once the card has been taken. You can no longer spam keycard stealing on a single target. (This didn't affect gameplay or provide additional keycards, it was just visually amusing. FUN SILLY BUG REMOVED.)
- Spacemen are no longer automatically removed from cameras when their oxygen is depleting. They will now only be removed from cameras when they take actual damage to their health.
- Overhead Map no longer gets 'scrambled' with objective icons from the previous round(s).
- Overhead Map no longer stays open if you are killed while viewing it.
- The damage noise (when YOU get hit) volume has been lowered a bit, and now has a little more variety.
- The EME HUD waypoint can now be seen clearly on foggy or dusty maps.
- Fixed a bug where some Emergency Mass Ejector objects would get stuck in the upper tube when preparing to launch.
- Fixed a bug where some Emergency Mass Ejector objects would still be grabbable after they were supposed to have already launched, allowing them (while invisible) to be moved, carried, and even scored repeatedly.
- Monster Taunt Sound when selected as Monster in Warmup Screen is now a bit quieter
- Monster Color Picker no longer stays open if you are killed while viewing it.
- The Egg Parasite now has entirely new artwork and can be seen crawling out of the egg [GIF] when it's activated.
- Egg Parasite now hatches from the egg and faces (follows) its nearest potential target if one is available.
- Egg Parasite now has a leap animation.
- Fixed bug where in some cases other players could not see a Parasite attached to someone's face.
- Cleaned up some of the Parasite attack logic to be more consistent.
- The Parasite now has a new and louder sound when it emerges from its egg
- The Parasite now has a new and louder sound when it leaps at its target
- Changed parasite-on-visor art to match the new artwork
- Monster Decoy now correctly respects Big Head Mode.
- Fixed bug where Monster could not eat Spacemen corpses when it should have been able to.
- Improved the visuals on Thermal Footprints and not because Rainbow Six Siege totally stole my idea
Angels / Heaven:
- Spectator cameras no longer have the "TV" effect over them and therefore now show the true-color and look of the scene.
- Death cameras no longer rotate or spin on their own and can be manipulated in some cases with the mouse.
- Added slight vignette to the spectator cameras.
- The color "Skin" has been changed to "Flesh" because Rygizons from the Xsh'bantu Nebula were offended that their iridescent blue skin color was left out of The Company's alien-awareness initiatives.
- Tidal Lock: Moved a few player spawns that were intersecting furniture.
- Architects: Fixed a totally hidden and secret easter egg no one knew about or whatever
- Gardens: Removed a player spawn that was outside
- Spaceburbia now has some distance fog and improved lighting.
Lobby and Menus:
- Lobby: The Host can now choose to play on a Random Map, instead of picking one specifically.
- Lobby: Customization Spacemen no longer rotates (locally or on network) and the buttons for rotation have been hidden
- Cleaned up UI on the Server Browser a bit
- Fixed issue where Perk Button icons (when being selected) were covering the selection and lock-in indicators.
- The menu "Stat Card" in the top right now has a dark gray background, instead of blue.
- New Host Match Setting: Unlimited Time. [GIF] If this option is checked, the round will only end if objectives are completed or if one "team" is eliminated.
- New Host Match Setting: No Rescue Shuttle. If this option is checked, the Spacemen can still do objectives (for Employee Points) but will never be rescued by a Shuttle and must kill the Monster in order to win.
- Fixed bug where Show Killer HP wasn't properly being set.
Items and Perks:
- Most guns (including Welder) now have a muzzle flash/effect in first person.
- Cleaned up the art for third person muzzle flash on weapons.
- The Shotgun now has 3rd person animations [GIF], including pump action after shots as well as when it overheats.
- Multiple weapons now have a unique equip sound when switching to them.
- The Scanner now shows the Monster on the overhead map if they are in Monster Form (and don't have Chitin, which still hides Monster from the overhead map)
- Stun Baton max charges reduced to 8, from 10
- Shotgun now has a steam/cooloff particle effect when it animates during the overheat sequence.
- Fixed Assault Rifle's muzzle flash in wrong location
- Handgun fire sound is a tiny bit quieter
Other Changes / Fixes:
- Mouse sensitivity can now go all the way down to 0.001
Hello Astronauts! We had some great games yesterday and an awesome time! We've rolled out a hotfix this evening that addresses multiple issues. See further down in the blog for the main patch notes and vlog if you haven't seen those yet!
- Fixed lighting issues on all maps (many maps appeared very dark when the lights were supposed to be on)
- Fixed Monster Terror SFX playing when you're the monster in Monster Form
- Fixed volume on Monster Terror SFX in general
- Monster Terror SFX are now properly tied to SFX volume channel instead of Master volume channel
- Stun Baton now stuns for 3 seconds, down from 5.
- Supply Crates have been adjusted to the correct size they were before the Christmas update.
- Fixed 3D HUD models going transparent when the power is out in a map (General transparency issues still present, however)
- Hypertrain death zone (if you fall off etc.) now has the correct damage type
- Fixed major issue with certain clients in a multiplayer game not being able to move
Original Blog Post Below
COMMUNITY MATCHES TAKING PLACE SATURDAY, JANUARY 14TH ON OUR DISCORD. STARTING 3 PM PST.
v0.2.3 "Happy New Fear!"
Summary: As the Unfortunate Spacemen beta hurls uncontrollably into 2017, vomiting everywhere and screaming into the abyss, a new map is dropped, and a whole ton of new animations and HUD improvements are spewed across the stars. Don't miss out! Join our Discord chat or I'll eject you out of an airlock! Read on for dev vlog and patch notes!
General / Spacemen Gameplay:
- There is now a button push / interact animation when interacting with things. This animation will stop your movement and will mean interactions are no longer instant (though they are still fairly quick.)
- This button push animation shows up in first person AND third person, meaning all interactions, including door locking and stealing keycards will be visible to other players, accompanied by a sound effect.
- All Spacemen now have access to the security cameras at any time by pressing the 4 key.
- Security Camera overlay UI has been cleaned up and reorganized some.
- Employee of the Month popup at the end of the round is now 3D and animated, instead of a still picture.
- Customization of the Employee of the Month winner now reflects that player's customization setup, including body type, helmet, and visor.
- Added some animations and additional sounds to the Warmup (loadout picking) screen UI, to better indicate which role you were picked for.
- The Spectator / Killcam now rotates smoothly.
- Complete overhaul to the button prompts in the bottom left of the HUD
- Overheating bar and text is a bit smaller on HUD, and closer to the crosshair.
- There is now an additional HUD warning for 2 minutes remaining.
- Map now has sound effects when opening and closing it.
- XP gain rates have been decreased slightly. A win is now worth 200 points, down from 300, and a loss is worth 75, down from 125. (All other additional XP gains are unchanged.)
- Camera now fades in from black when you first spawn into the game, because polish is awesome. Not polish like the hot dogs, but polish, as in rubbing stuff until it's shiny. ... You know what, forget it. You know what I'm talking about.
- Removed Fresnel effect by default. Used to be 0.5, is now 0. This effect still happens when damaged, but overall this change results in HUD being much easier to read, especially near the edges.
- HUD is less squished overall
- All text on the HUD has been replaced by icons
- There is now a visible cooldown meter on the Shove button in the lower left of the HUD.
- All button prompts in the lower left area of the HUD have been enlarged to be more readable.
- All cooldown bars on the HUD are much more vivid now and are now placed over the icon, instead of the button prompt for them.
- The button prompts along the bottom of the HUD have been re-ordered some, and Monster abilities have a space between them and regular Spacemen abilities.
- The bottom left representation is no longer a 2D image and is now an actual 3D view of your character in their current color state and will also animate when shapeshifting. (Known Issue: Green colors or reflections will often go transparent due to current shader tricks. Will tidy this up later.)
- Spacemen flashlights now have a glare effect when you look at them
- All footstep-related events for both Spacemen and Monster now trigger properly when moving backwards and strafing, meaning you can now properly hear footstep sounds when traveling any direction.
- There is now a jump animation. It's pretty okay and stuff.
- There is now a fun fact and unique death message for being crushed to death by the Rescue Shuttle.
- Punch has a new sound effect
- The frost on a Spaceman's first person visor glass is now a bit less extreme
- Lowered the emissive glow on the Landing Pad material, previously too bright in the dark.
- Added a decal to the center of landing pads, to make them look a little more interesting.
- Shuttle Pilot camera now shows up on HUD when he's speaking.
- The Monster can no longer place Acid Bombs or Parasite Eggs when burrowed.
- The Warmup screen now tells you if you have been selected as the Monster in the final 5 seconds. This is accompanied by a monster roaring sound, to psych you up or whatever.
- Acid Bomb and Monster Egg now have new HUD icons.
- The Monster's HUD prompt for "Press N to place remote arm" has been moved up some, closer to the "Press E to" interact prompt text.
- Fixed an instance where Remote Arm would sometimes not trigger properly
- Lowered volume on the Monster Transform sound effect and there is now a greater variety of sounds that can play when transforming
Angels / Heaven:
- Angels can now spectate players directly (they can also still use the cameras if they'd like)
- Waypoints no longer show up below Heaven while an angel, but DO show up when spectating players and cameras.
- Monster's Toxic Ink Cloud perk has been buffed. Radius increased from 230 to 275. Damage per 0.5 seconds increased from 3 to 5.
- Monster Egg/Acid Bomb cooldown now shows up on the HUD in the bottom right, alongside other cooldown timers
- Buttons re-organized a ton. Egg laying icon is now on the bottom left of HUD with other button prompts, instead of on the right.
- Burrow and Void Blink now have a visible cooldown bar.
- Monster Egg and Acid Bomb now have a cooldown bar over the icon, including number of seconds left.
- Monster Egg cooldown is now 120 seconds, down from 180 seconds, meaning the Monster can lay eggs a bit more often (Must be in Monster Form to do so.)
- You can now view AND customize your full Spaceman customization in the lobby scene (you can NOT see other players customization, for tactical reasons.)
- You can now customize your Perk Loadouts while in the lobby.
- KNOWN ISSUE: Height does not scale your spaceman in the lobby, due to some visual bugs. Height still saves properly, it just won't show visually right now when in the lobby.
- All image-based visors (ex: eyeball) now work better with the bubble helmet and avoid stretching the texture in strange ways.
- NEW VISORS: Levels 1 through 15 will each unlock a Billiards Ball visor for the corresponding number. (1 ball at level 1, 8 ball at level 8, and so on.)
- Fixed Fuchsia. It is now a pink color, instead of a blue-green, for whatever reason that happened.
- New color available: Black, the color of space, and seriously dark.
- New color available: Actinic, a purpley color, at least in your lame human spectrum.
- New color available: Hooloovoo, a super intelligent blue color.
- Christmas decorations have been taken down. Happy New Year! - NEW MAP - Tidal Lock: A 3-tiered ship repair dock floats ominously above a gas giant. This map is filled with precarious bridges and numerous traps.
- Abduction: Fixed issue with server not properly waiting for clients to load this map (also fixes lack of loading screen when loading Abduction)
- Abduction: Changed collision on some of the ceiling boards in "the roof hole" to prevent players from getting stuck.
- Abduction: UFO now has a new place to drop down, from the "Crate Room" of the UFO.
- Abduction: UFO now has some new walls in the center tractor beam chamber in order to block certain lines of sight and jump paths, as well as mark a more obvious way to jump down from the UFO.
- Abduction: UFO Power Switch has been moved to the opposite side of the central tractor beam chamber.
- Abduction: UFO's "low gravity area" on the tractor beam has been shortened some, to make it easier to jump down from the center without being sucked back into the beam.
Lobby and Menus
- The entire lobby interface has been improved with small tweaks
- Name of server you're in now shows up at the top of the lobby screen
- Map image now animates when it's changed by the host.
- Totally new look for the lobby scene and a much darker background altogether.
- The lobby now has a confirmation when you try to leave, to avoid accidental leavage
- Menus now make noises when hovering over buttons and some older sounds have been replaced with new ones
- New Host Match Setting: Show Killer HP. If this is turned on (default), your killer's HP will be shown on death.
- "Mutators" text changed to "Modifiers" in Host Match Settings.
- Enlarged tooltip space on Big Stat Card to avoid cutting off the text inside it.
- Changed some font on the warmup screen.
- In the Settings menu, there are now 3 options for Window Mode. Fullscreen, Windowed Fullscreen (also known as Borderless Windowed), and Windowed.
- Added a "Medium" graphics quality level, between High and Low.
- Added an additional graphics quality level, "Awful", which turns off shadows entirely and will allow more of our favorite toasters to run the game. (More progress on this in the future.)
- New icon for View Overhead Map hover-button in lobby
- The Main Menu has been re-organized slightly, and has two new buttons; a link to the @UnfortSpacemen Twitter, and a link to our bustling and TOTALLY AWESOME Discord Chat (aka Zag's Meme Farm.)
Items and Perks:
- Springy Step perk increases the speed of button push (and other interactions) by about 3x.
- The Security Camera Viewer gear item has been removed from the game in favor of allowing ALL Spacemen to access cameras at any time.
- Security Guard perk no longer spawns with a Security Cam Viewer.
- Scanner ping has a new, less annoying sound effect.
- Overhead Map now has text "Scanning..." if you have a scanner equipped.
- Scanner now scans the map once every second, instead of once every 5 seconds.
- Fixed: Scanner makes pinging noise after the map is already closed.
- Spicy Meme Cannon (er, Flamethrower) sound system has been totally revamped and should no longer play sounds at strange times, such as when no one is firing it.
- To better balance the Flamethrower, the weapon now makes a gas hissing noise when it's out, which other Spacemen can hear from a distance.
- The Flamethrower has a new 'stop/start' firing sound, a more subtle flame sound, instead of that loud 'clunk' noise.
- Fixed a whole bunch of "hand IK" issues, meaning Spacemen will hold their items in a more proper manner in third person.
Other Changes / Fixes:
- Fixed Radio Jammer text to be correct, instead of "Use Object"
- Fixed Health Station text to be correct, instead of "Use Object"
- Fixed: Weapon shows up in hands when unarmed after droppping a large object such as Research Sample or Supply Crate.
- Fixed some major bugs on Tutorial, such as unlocked doors that should be locked, invisible first person arms, and things like that. The tutorial still needs some more cleanup and doesn't explicitly respect all of the new rules and changes to the game in the last few months -- but overall, it works start to finish again.
- Flashlight is no longer hidden inside the head when Big Head Mode is enabled
- Potential fix for same player being picked as Monster two rounds in a row when others have opted in.
- SteamVR should no longer launch when Unfortunate Spacemen is launched. (Spacemen does NOT officially support VR at this time.)
- Potential fix for the disappearing map bug
- Airlock button now glows red when the airlock is unavailable.
- Upgraded from Unreal Engine 4.12 to 4.14
- Some metallic textures are a bit lighter, making interiors in certain places a bit less dark when the lights are on. (Example: Inside Abduction's UFO)
- Lowered volume of Task Completed sound, and no longer allow multiple instances of this sound to play on top of another
Summary: Holiday Special Dev Vlog, tons of bug fixes, a new weapon (the shotgun!), a brand new UFO map, and lots more! Don't miss out! Join our Discord chat or I'll eject you out of an airlock! Anyway, here's a super serious Christmas message from me. (It's not. It's not.)
General / Spacemen Gameplay:
- The Rescue Shuttle now squishes anyone below it when landing. Watch out!
- "Died" icon on the end-game scoreboard should now be correct
- Death camera (and wardrobe camera) will now rotate if it doesn't have a direct line of sight to the character.
- View Self button prompt is now grayed out on the HUD when unavailable, such as during a Colorblind Virus event.
- Door health has been lowered to 675, from 750.
- Temporary fix for grenades getting stuck in the person throwing them. Not ideal, needs more work.
- The EME should now properly re-open after a Spaceman survives it through the Magnetic Boots perk.
- Being punched to death will no longer tell the victim they were "Clawed to Death" and will better reflect what actually happened.
- Added a Fun Fact to the end scoreboard that can display when someone is punched to death.
- Health Station locations now show on the overhead map
- Player List now accessible by holding F1 key during gameplay. This shows the names and Steam avatars of players, but does not show their color, VOIP status, nor what their status is in the game (for strategic reasons.)
- "Space Madness" Last Man Standing message is now much smaller and doesn't take up so much of the screen. It also is now more readable against scenery.
- A bunch of objectives are now extremely festive.
- New sound for clearing up debris.
- Landing Pads are now gold colored.
- Transmitter Offline buzz now voiced by someone with a much better voice.
- Emergency Mass Ejectors (EME) now have a new sound, and their blast can be heard from much further away, indicating someone just launched an object (or themselves.)
- Transmitters should no longer ever show "User Halted Process" when the Transmitters is already completed
- Objective Completed Checkmark has a new appearance.
- Transmitters are now colored based on current status on the overhead map. Red means Stopped. Yellow means In Progress. Blue means Completed.
- Landing Location is now marked on the overhead map when the Rescue Shuttle is called in.
- Fixed an issue with visible teeth below monster eggs
- Titanium Claws now do 7x more damage to doors, up from 3x.
- Monsters no longer collide with their own decoy.
- Acid Monster's Acid Reflex (splashing acid on nearby Spacemen) no longer triggers EVERY time the monster takes damage. Instead, it will trigger when the monster takes damage, but only once every 0.75 seconds.
- Acid Monster's Acid Reflex damage is now 7, up from 5.
- Fixed bug where toggling Monster form by pressing hotkey will not choose the correct body type.
- The corpse gib pile (after being eaten by a monster) no longer shows a helmet. Now it shows an ambiguous skull in the pile of meat and blood.
- The Rescue Shuttle will now correctly count a burrowed Monster as "in the shuttle" when it takes off.
- Your character can now be rotated in the customization menus.
- New Helmet: Pilot! Unlocks at Rank 15.
- New Helmet: Bubble! Unlocks at Rank 25.
- Current Body Type (top line) and Height (bottom line) now show up in the lower left area of the HUD. Height is shown as "Short," "Typical," and "Tall." This is also shown on the Customization screen when customizing your height.
- There is now a "Random" Body Type option, which will pick a random Body Type for you at the start of every round.
Bots (aka Security Guards):
Note from Zag:Bots were originally intended to mimic human behavior and substitute human players in a match. In actual practice, this isn't what ended up happening. People typically turned bots off entirely, for many reasons, chief among them being that the monster didn't want to have to go run around the map hunting them down after killing all the players. (And let's face it - bots typically weren't fooling anyone.) I want bots to be something people enjoy having around and including in their games. Therefore, I have opted to make the bots act solely as a helping hand and no longer count towards monster kills. This means bots will be added to games in order to protect and help the players, without the intention of replacing them. We'll see how this goes, and I'll make adjustments from there. More detailed specifics are below.
- Bots have a new, very specific uniform. The Monster can mimic this uniform if they desire.
- Bots (Security Guards) no longer count towards end-game conditions for killing Spacemen. Once all players are dead, the game is over and the monster wins. Unless...
- If the host runs a solo game against only bots, then the bots DO count towards end-game conditions, and this is reflected in the objectives window alongside a disclaimer indicating it's a practice round. (Hold TAB key to view objectives.)
- Bot floppy discs no longer appear black. (Just brown and say SECURITY.) Will do a more proper texture later.
- Default bot count is now 3. With the new rules, this is absolutely recommended for games with few Spacemen. The bots will continue to help with objectives and shoot at the Monster (or who they think might be the Monster.)
- Security Guards are now much more accurate with their handguns and rifles.
- Security Guards now spawn with a handgun (sometimes an assault rifle) and a security cam viewer.
- Security Guards now have the Blast Shield and Medical Nanobot Perks
- Security Guards no longer grant a level up for the Monster, but will still count as an innocent murder for Spacemen.
- Fixed some issues with match settings not showing or carrying over properly
Note from Zag:I am also aware of the potential confusion between "Security Guard" bots and "Security Guard" perk. This will be addressed in a future patch. In the above section, all references to Security Guard are referring to bots.
Maps and Lobby:
- NEW MAP: Abduction! A lonely farmhouse has been visited by an otherworldly stranger...
- It's Christmas time in space! Abduction is the official "Christmas" map, but that's only because UFOs tend to invade during Christmas. (LORE!)
- Entirely new look for the map picker.
- Latest map(s) are now indicated by NEW! text in the map picker.
- Overhead map image now shows up in the map picker
- Echo: Oxygen Pumps room now has some ambient sound
- Kema: New lobby image
- A Security Guard now shows up in the lobby, if there are bots in the match.
- Potential fix for issue with Spaceman Rank not showing up properly to other players while in lobby.
- You can now view the overhead map of the selected map, whilst waiting in the lobby.
- Added a plant to the settings menu, because plants are nice and promote healthy well-being.
- Lobby: There is now a countdown tone when the game is started by the host
- Lobby: The screen now fades to black when the game is started by the host
- Lobby: The text input box now stays focused after sending a text message
- Lobby: Ready button text now changes to Unready when player is ready.
- Ready Checkmark in lobby has a new appearance.
- Lobby: Rounds Per Map default is now 4, instead of 5.
- Lobby dropdown when clicking on someone's name in the lobby is larger and the text fits better in the buttons.
- Lobby: There is now a hide-able panel showing the current match settings for everyone to see.
- Match settings button now works in lobby, and all the various match settings for the host to modify have been moved to there.
- New Mutator: Big Head Mode is now a server option that can be turned on by the host in lobby Match Settings. It's really, really silly and might cause other unforseen (or seen) issues. You've been warned -- but have fun!
- Heaven: Improved clarity and lowered brightness of Angel Spacemen texture.
- Heaven: Screen now fades in from white when entering Heaven as a spaceman angel.
- Heaven: Angels can now properly zoom in and out on cameras.
- Heaven: Fixed bug where angel cameras could sometimes get stuck zoomed in.
- Heaven: Angels should no longer be able to get stuck under the stairs in heaven.
Items and Perks:
- New Weapon: The Shotgun! 1 spawns per map. Very deadly at close range, especially against the Monster.
- Handgun damage to non-Spacemen (Monster, doors, etc) increased to 10, from 8.5
- Flare Gun has an updated inventory icon
- Action Hero perk has a brand new icon
- Assault Rifle has an updated inventory icon
- Spicy Meme Cannon has an updated inventory icon
- Door Security Override is now voiced by someone with a much better voice.
- Potential fix in place for Door Security Override not working sometimes.
- Welder repair speed increased to 12, from 9.
- Stun Baton now stuns for 5 seconds, up from 2.
- Stun Baton now has 10 charges, up from 3.
- The Security Camera "TV effect" has been reduced by about half, for more clear viewing.
- All camera viewers now reset to default FOV when opening them.
- Increased camera zoom per click (30, up from 15)
- The Scanner gear item now refreshes every 5 seconds, instead of every 8.
Other Changes / Fixes:
- Mouse Look and Mouse Sensitivity settings should now save properly between sessions.
- Tutorial button now says "STORY + TUTORIAL" to emphasize the wonderful story aspects of the tutorial. Just kidding, it's click-bait. Pure click-bait.
- Create Server buttons now make noises when clicked, as they always should have.
- Added more fading to menus when things happen, for a more polished look.
- Changed font on middle of Warmup Screen
- Fixed bug where corpses would lose their color after death.
- Fixed bug where a helmet shadow would appear on decapitated corpses.
- The game now continues to play sound when ALT+Tabbed or the window is not focused. This was primarily changed to allow lobby and heaven players to still hear VOIP chat while out of the window. (Will add more specific settings for customizing this later)
- Fixed some issues with match settings not showing or carrying over properly to the next round
- Black spots on Spacemen suits now have proper texturing.
- Information such as rounds per map and bot count should now show up properly for client (non-host) players.
Summary: This patch is (worth the weight.) Tons of bug fixes, new body types for your Spacemen customization needs, cameras now zoom, and a whole bunch more! Full patch notes can be found below our community video, which I am going to continue shoving into your faces until you like and subscribe to our Youtube channel and then mindlessly join our Discord chat like a good zombie. Also, about 90% of this patch consists of changes and fixes from direct community feedback via the Discord server. True fun fact story.
INTERRUPTING SALES PITCH: Unfortunate Spacemen is 50% off until November 29th! Grab it on Steam or grab it for your friends! Think about all the airlocks you can suck them out of. All the eggs you can lay on their faces. Think about it.
- You can now select a body type from a dropdown in the customization menu. This body type is purely cosmetic, and is mimicked by the monster when shapeshifting.
- Security Cameras can now be zoomed. Left and right mouse buttons (Right and left gamepad triggers) now zoom the camera in one zoom magnification level. Do this multiple times to zoom in or out further. This works for both Spacemen and Angels. Cameras are now only switched by pressing A and D, or gamepad equivalent.
- Assault Rifle now fires perfectly accurate IF zoomed and if you haven't fired for 0.5 seconds.
- VOIP should now work in the lobby without having to focus the text chat box, on the warmup screen, and in the scoreboard/post-game screens.
- Fixed graphical issue with map title gradient in the map selection screen.
- Changed font in map selection screen.
- Cleaned up the deader parts of Heaven a bit more.
- J key no longer works while colorblind, unless you have the antibodies virus, or are the monster.
- Mouse Sensitivity can now be set in the Settings menu.
- Fixed missing shag carpet textures in Spaceburbia.
- Fixed hit reaction bug causing character mesh to ragdoll and totally flip out ("The Invisible Spaceman Bug")
- Fixed: Heaven missing from Snowswept
- Fixed: Fog covering the HUD flare indicator
- Fixed: Viewing windows in the Command Bunker now have oxygen
THE BETA IS HERE! You'll know you're on the new Beta patch by the watermark at the top middle of your screen. It should look something like this.
v0.2.0 "Excellent Beta"
Summary: The most excellent beta is here. New dev vlog, new community video (yes, TWO videos!), tons of bug fixes, a brand new snowy bunker map, new first person arms, and a whole bunch more! Full patch notes can be found below these two videos.
Spacemen / General Gameplay:
- Totally new first person arms for the Spacemen! This includes new animations for unarmed, punching, holding the Health Syringe and Stun Baton, and holding and throwing grenades.
- The end-round scoreboard now shows Fun Facts about the game, such as who had been eaten by a parasite, or got acid on their entire body and internal organs.
- Emote Radial Menu is now closeable with the same hotkeys you can use to open it.
- Fixed some bugs with innocent kill messages showing up for the wrong player.
- Reduced Night Vision bloom effect on Cameras and with the Vision Enhancer
- Security Camera Night Vision now has a slightly wider radius for better viewing
- Transmitter 'halted' buzzer now has a voice accompanying it that loudly declares "TRANSMITTER OFFLINE." This was added due to many new players not understanding what the loud buzzing noise was. Hopefully this will solve that, and also make it slightly more obvious when a Transmitter has been shut off nearby.
- Spacemen and Monster perks now have new icons for much better readability and now share a unified art style
- If a player color is invalid for any reason, it will no longer show up as a button on the Monster's color selection menu.
- *NEW MAP* Snowswept: Alongside the tunnels that wind this wintery vale, something else twists itself through ice and snow...
- Space Bar: New lobby map image
- Space Bar: Now has space-trucks and other vehicles in the landing lots outside, as well as significant visual upgrades all throughout the map, as well as the skybox.
- Architects: Minor upgrades to the map, lighting, and add some landmarks for better navigation.
- Hypertrain: New lobby map image
- Hypertrain: Large graphical improvements across the map
- Hypertrain: Added connected walkways on top of all the train cars to give the Monster more routes to gain the upper hand
- Hypertrain: Added a couple drop-in hatches to aid the Monster in travel, as well as stalking and ambushing prey.
- Hypertrain: Fixed issue where some doors lost their coloration
- Kema: Optimized lighting for better performance
- Kema: Potential fix for Greenhouse trees acting weird and stretching across the screen
- Echo: Fixed missing oxygen volume in the corner of Pink Room
- Echo: Fixed Yellow Hall oxygen volume, Spacemen should no longer be able to get Oxygen when outside the hall in the Main Hangar
- Echo: Reduced blinding light intensity in one of The Tube rooms
- Echo: Filled some holes that needed filling
- Spaceburbia: Kitchens inside homes now have tiled floors and all other rooms have shag carpet. Yeah. Really.
- Spaceburbia: Added more detail, particularly in kitchens, the main road, and some walls.
- Gardens: New lobby map image
- Gardens: Massive visual upgrade to the entire map
- Gardens: A small oxygenated room now exists on the East side of the map, in the lower trench
- Gardens: Optimized the foliage shaders in this map for better performance, but also made the foliage visible from further away.
- Lobby: Improved the background scene to the game lobby, and moved the camera some.
- Space Heaven: Bot floppy discs now properly fall from the sky when a bot dies
- Space Heaven: A few new visuals and a bit easier on the eyes
- Optimized a bunch of textures to use less space (this should decrease game download size a good bit)
- All 3D font present in levels (things like signage above doors) now use a font that matches the style of the rest of the game.
- Toned down some of the specular effects on various textures, to better fit the desired artistic theme.
- All glass rendering is now slightly better on performance
- Suit Locked HUD indicator should no longer appear blurry under any circumstances, and now looks a bit better.
- HUD waypoints no longer get covered by fog or dust and will show in full color, even from far away, making it easier to find things around various low-visibility maps such as Architects and Kema.
- Improved artwork of menu buttons and menu popups
- Error popups now feature an orange background, instead of the typical blue
- Changed some fonts in the menus to better match the desired theme and style
Misc Stuff / Fixes:
- Fixes for Spacemen spawning without being properly assigned a color
- Fixes for various game reset issues and playing consecutive matches without restarting the application.
- Potential fix for Vision Enhancer not turning off when swapping it for another gear item
- Potential fix for a player's black screen getting stuck black after a round ends with fade-to-black event
- Potential fix for chocolate milk regen not displaying properly
- Fixed a bug where Spacemen with the Chocolate Milk perk could survive being launched by an EME, Airlock, or falling off the map
- Fixed two places where the game was throwing errors on startup
- Updated and re-organized the credits screen
- If a Spaceman leaves the game, the character now dies, instead of blipping out of existance, or not properly going away at all.
- Big fixes to player disconnect and end-game logic
- Big fixes to various mouse cursor / disappearing cursor issues
- Fixed various issues with overhead map failing to come up on screen when it should
- Reduced font size on a few menus
- Removed player's Steam ID from version watermark at the top of the screen
- The server browser now tells you when no servers were found, and suggests the player join our Discord (http://discord.gg/sandswept) to get a game going with other people!
Hello Astronauts! We are pleased to announce that the Sandswept Community is now an official partner of Discord!
What the heck is Discord and what does this all mean?!Discord is an all-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone.
Here's some of the neat perks we have acquired through partnership:
Access to robust VIP voice servers
Custom splash screen and vanity URL
Early access to new features
Expedited support via the Discord Dev hotline
So if you haven’t already joined our Discord server, you should do so right now! discord.gg/sandswept
New patch is LIVE! You'll know you're on the new patch by the watermark at the top middle of your screen.
v0.1.8 "Mystery Space Theatre"
Summary: A new dev vlog! A new map! A new story tutorial thing! And a bunch more!
- Tutorial / Story segment! Whether you're new to the game or a veteran, the tutorial is full of story, learning, and teaches the importance of magical friendship between coworkers probably.
- The Welcome Screen for new players now recommends the Tutorial, instead of the How To Play guide.
- NEW MAP: Space Bar! Run, hide, and survive throughout the halls, theatre rooms, and alleys as the horror comes right off the screen at this little cinema pub -- in SPAAAAAACE!
- Fixed issue with Tom Videogre's voice pack not being properly selected in game.
- Removed refraction effects on the first person visor, which was causing numerous 'offset' graphical issues on certain visors and all transparent surfaces.
- Various minor improvements to the lobby UI look and feel
- Various texture improvements and reduced unncessary detail on a few textures for a generally softer look (particularly noticeable on wall textures used in Tutorial and Kema)
- Fix to Monster Footsteps and Monster Taunt. They were not localizing the sound properly making it very difficult to tell which direction it was coming from.
- The Overhead map now shows text "YOU" next to... well, you.
- Door status panels now much better illustrate what status the door is in, showing red when locked, and white when open, along with text and imagery indicating this.
- Transmitter's front interaction box is a bit larger now so Spacemen don't have to be quite as precise to press it.
- Players can now look around while suit is locked during prep etc.
- The pilot of Rescue Shuttle 31 has reduced the background noise in his cockpit.
- Spacemen no longer leave their piles of "snow" all over the Landing Pads. They now leave pallets strewn about.
- Fixed link on Main Menu that went to a broken URL
- Main Menu ticker scroll now suggests people join our Discord server!
- Oxygen Tank oxygen gain reduced to 30, from 50.
- Oxygen Tank shapeshift gain for Monster reduced to 30, from 40.
- New Spaceman Color: Skin
- Angel jump velocity increased to 1500, from 1000.
- Angels can now move cameras around while viewing through them. (other players in game do not see this)
- Camera look now respects the user's invert-mouse Y-axis setting and will act accordingly.
- The invisible ceiling on Spaceburbia should no longer block Spacemen ejected from the EME.
- Player scoreboard at end of the game is now sorted by who has the highest Employee Points score.
- Blood trails! Spacemen (and monsters) now leave a blood droplet about once a second, for 5 seconds after taking damage.
- Potential fix for a bug where the host would be forced into someone else's camera after the airlock was done wiggling them
Geoff Keene here. Some people call me Zag, because I told them to.
I used to post "From The Dev" updates only on the Steam forum, but I decided our development blog needs some Major Love. Coincidentally, that's also what the ladies call me.
Some of this will be a repost from the most recent From The Dev forum post (from the 24th of August) but a bunch of stuff has gotten done since then, so you will read this blog post, because love makes the world go round.
All experts I talked to agreed 0.1.8 is going to be a killer update. Which experts? Not relevant. Here's a list of stuff coming in 0.1.8, currently titled "Space Mystery Theatre," but we'll see if that name sticks...
The Tutorial (and story segment!)
A lot of new players have trouble adjusting to the mechanics of the game, as far as objectives go. The espionage and who-dunnit murder-deduction aspects, on the other hand, tend to come pretty naturally for most people...
The tutorial is focusing on the former - learning how to do the objectives.
The Company's Non-Discriminatory Training Course will teach you the basics of movement, completing objectives, and handling items. And it's wicked funny.
The most exciting part for me is that it's our very FIRST in-game introduction of The Company, and will feature at least 2 voice actors, following suit with our humor from the Recruitment Video, nonly better. Plus, rumor has it that The Company's spokesman may make some sort of appearance or something, but I totally don't know ANYTHING about that.
Whether you're new to the game or a total veteran of space murder, the tutorial will have some tasty new content for you to devour with your mandibles or regular human teeth depending on which planet you were born on.
Speaking of our voice actors, I've sat down with the talent and recorded a ton of "Station Announcements" that will periodically play on certain maps (like Echo) during gameplay. Those might not be in 0.1.8, but I want you to know they're coming. They should be really funny, because I wrote them, and I am hilaaaarious.
New Map: Space Bar
If you were one of our earliest alpha playtesters, you'll know that we had a map in the game called Space Bar, and it was a bar, in space. Or a cinema pub, rather. Anyway, I've given it a huge overhaul and improvement to its look and some minor modifications to its layout. It'll be in 0.1.8, for sure. It'll still have some 'graybox' rooms with a lack of detail, but in many ways it's probably further along than Hypertrain in that regard. So that is awesome!
As usual, I'm doing some fixings of the bugs. Tom's voice pack didn't work because someone totally not me forgot to connect one thing to another thing. Yeah... Let's not talk about that. I've put in a few other fixes for some of the more prominent bugs, such as your overhead map disappearing, never to return. (I found out it ran off with the chocolate space milk timer - it should now be back and stay back.) Other larger bugs I'm looking into, and some I've already fixed. Because buck fugs.
We're getting pretty close to "feature complete" which means after that it's bug fixes, polish, and maps, maps, maps. I have a ton of new maps in the works, which I can't wait to share, but... We're getting there! The game is about 61% on the current Starmap, but it should be bumping up to around 65 or beyond in the next patch here.
If you want to play with more Spacefolks, or just come chat with ME more directly, you can check out our Sandswept Discord Server. (Or check the Community link at the top of this web site!)
There's also an "unofficial" Steam group we use to set up games, called Unfortunate Spacemen United. Full_Out is my MVP when it comes to setting up Multiplayer games. If you want to get eaten by him play games with a large group, get in on these little community hubs.
That's all for now, Astronauts!
p.s. Oh, I also took a couple days and threw together a new Sandswept.net! Check it out, because you like clicking on websites.