v0.2.18 "Touchdown"Summary: In the 15th update of 2017, Zag revamps the entire shuttle sequence, adds a Monster Tutorial for you to learn the ropes and experience a little lore, and a whole bunch more! A dev vlog is planned and will arrive with the next patch, bundling this patch and the next into a single vlog. Come say hi on Discord!
We play Unfortunate Spacemen every Saturday at 11 AM PST! Join our Discord server to take part in the fun! Also, much of this patch consists of changes and fixes from direct community feedback via the Discord server. Excellent.
Change Notes:NEW SHUTTLE SEQUENCE:
- The Shuttle has received brand new artwork, inside and out, including a new interior, proper landing gear, and blast doors over the (also new) exterior windows and skylight.
- All of the Rescue Shuttle pilot dialog in the game now has the same smooth-talking voice actor, and several more lines can be heard during various parts of the end-game Shuttle event.
- There is now a warning displayed on HUD (accompanied by new pilot audio) 30 seconds before the Shuttle closes its doors.
- The Rescue Shuttle's interior dialog (funny lines) from the Pilot are now heard slightly earlier after the Shuttle opens its doors.
- Removed one of the pilot's "funny lines" that would've interfered with readability of the situation for new players, or would otherwise contradict the new Shuttle scan sequence. ("If the monster is still found onboard after takeoff..." funny line has been removed.)
- The Rescue Shuttle now has exterior blast doors that cover the windows and glass during Contamination Lockdown, and Takeoff.
- Improved the appearance of the Shuttle Pilot portrait that pops up on the HUD during his "shuttle inbound" and "30 second warning" messages.
- If the Monster is killed on the Shuttle after the doors close, the pilot will chime in and let you know that you're taking off. (This is a Spaceman win.)
- You can now win the game as Monster by breaking open the Shuttle cockpit with Monster Claws. This will result in the Monster "Stealing the Shuttle." Spacemen must stop any Monster attempting to do this. The Shuttle cockpit is much stronger if there are still Spacemen alive to stop the Monster.
- There are now unique sounds that play when the Shuttle takes off and lands. This sound can be heard from quite far away.
- Unfortunate Spacemen is now running on our custom build of Unreal Engine 4, version 4.16. (Was previously on our custom build of Unreal Engine 4 version 4.14.) This has caused some minor changes to post-processing, most of which should not be noticeable or may even look better in some cases.
- MONSTER TUTORIAL: You can now select the Monster Tutorial from the Tutorial button on the main menu. It is recommended you first experience the Spaceman tutorial, which will cover the basic controls, before diving into this one. If you know how to play the Monster already, please enjoy the tutorial for its dialog and a little bit of lore. This tutorial is considered "first pass" and will be receiving additional updates and polish in the future. Some minor bugs or AI quirks are to be expected.
- Fixed: Survival HUD elements would sometimes show up during Tutorial and Shapeshifter mode.
- The text at the start of the Spaceman tutorial has been refined, including a Company logo.
- The proper VOIP binding is now respected in the Post-Game Scoreboard.
- When VOIP is bound to a mouse button, it now correctly works in the Game Lobby.
- Fixed an issue with VOIP key getting stuck or otherwise showing as active in the Waiting for Players screen.
- New artwork for the Shapeshifter Mode button when hosting a game.
- Crouching now properly animates in first person, instead of popping to the crouched position.
- Fixed: HUD Distance does not allow the HUD to get close enough to the camera at higher FOV levels. (NOTE: Default HUD Distance setting is now 0.4. If you have an existing save you MAY need to change this setting once you get into the game. (0.4 HUD distance is best for 90 FOV. Please adjust these in the graphic Settings menu until you are satisfied with your HUD scaling and FOV levels.)
- Removed a particle-created bullet impact from surfaces (since it often floated if it hit a door that opened later)
- Innocent Kill Score Penalty has been increased to -600 points, previously -300 points.
- All splash logos and loading screens at the start have had their volume lowered by roughly 50%.
- Debris cleanup effect is now much more profound, obvious, and rotated the correct direction.
- Survival Mode Void Beasts now have reduced health.
- Transmitters now lock out for 45 seconds after they're turned off by the Monster. This status is displayed on the screen.
- Optimized some lights on various objects, such as Research Samples and Power Outage Switches.
- Fixed: Monster claw attack would sometimes hit invisible corpses that were supposed to have been eaten.
- The Colorblind Virus Jar now explodes in a shower of red, instead of blue.
- Fixed: Monster can sometimes burrow with its camera below the ground.
- Fixed: Sometimes the corpse pile created by eating a corpse will float in certain cases. Some potential causes fixed.
- Potential Fix for Monster Opt-In not properly respecting the variables it's supposed to use when choosing who should be Monster next.
- Perks now unlock much sooner in the rank progression. Now perks unlock every single rank until they are all unlocked, but the order of unlock remains the same. (Action Hero is still unlocked last, for example.)
- The Hazard Helmet's artwork has been improved, particularly in the neck area.
- The N.E.K.O. (cat ears) helmet is now available on the Unfortunate Space Store!
- All helmet images in the Helmet selection menu and Space Store now fit much better and more clearly show the helmet. (Visors will likely receive this same treatment later on.)
- Potential fix for Ghosts spawning for players who die right around the same time the game ends.
Items and Weaponry:
- Shotgun now has new artwork and some new holding/firing animations. (Work in progress.)
- Auto-Shotty (Only found in Survival) now has new artwork and some new holding/firing animations. (Work in progress.)
- New firing sounds for Handgun, Shotgun, and Auto-Shotty.
- Rocket damage falloff has been drastically decreased to reward direct hits and not misses, and also not kill the user as often.
- Weapons in Survival Mode now have a specific count, but still appear in randomized order. This means you will never get more than 5 rocket launchers or more than 2 flamethrowers, for two examples.
- Fixed: Flaregun is now held correctly in other Spaceman's hands.
- The new Unfortunate Spacemen logo artwork is present in the Main Menu and splash screen now.
- Recolored and re-organized some buttons on the main menu to better unify the visual theme. Less clutter all around.
- Discord Chat button in the main menu now matches Discord's branding colors.
- The shop button (Stand Out, Blend In) in the main menu screen is now a bit smaller as to not cover up game logo.
- Changed the font on the Welcome Message.
- Changed Main Menu text from TUTORIALS + STORY to just TUTORIALS
- The ugly top right "Big Stat Card" is now gone and all this information is moved to the top of the Main Menu as a more compact bar.
- The version watermark has been moved to the very bottom center of the screen.
- Claustrophobia: Closed one entrance to the Common Area and moved a bunch of tables to be more defense-able and give better sight lines.
- Claustrophobia: Closed off the entrance to the Medical room (Can still jump over the barricade to quickly access the health station from the hallway.) to make that area more appealing for a defensive position.
- Space Bar: Various visual updates and changes to the artwork around the map and outside the map boundaries, such as the city buildings.
- Space Bar: The tables by the door have been replaced by some mini-shops and the like.
- Space Bar: There are now bar stools by all the bar countertops.
- The Experiment: Fixed collision on some ledges by the central dropbridges that would previously allow players to stand on the edge instead of falling into the abyss as intended.
- The Experiment: Slightly reduced the emissive (glow) on various textures in the level, making it a tad darker.
- Duress: Optimized all glass and dust shaders for improved performance.
- Duress: Optimized Trams for improved performance.
- All lights on all maps are now more efficient and should be better on performance.
What's next? More improvements, a flamethrower overhaul, new monster artwork, and more!