v0.2.10 "Executive Power"Summary: In the 7th update of 2017, Zag brings a massive rebalancing to the power weapons, along with lots of "quality o' life" fixins. Read on, and check out the vlog below, for more!
We play Unfortunate Spacemen every Saturday at 11 AM PST! Join our Discord chat to take part in the fun! Also, about 90% of this patch consists of changes and fixes from direct community feedback via the Discord server. Excellent.
Change Notes:New Power Weapon System
- When in an "Approved Emergency," The Company will sometimes unlock additional arsenal for disposing of unwanted infestations.
- Power Items / Weapons (Flamethrower, Shotgun) now spawn from special canisters located around the map.
- Flamethrower and Shotgun have been removed from normal item spawn points.
- After set intervals, a randomly selected Power Weapon Canister will begin unlocking.
- Once a canister is chosen, it will take 1 minute for the canister to unlock, allowing anyone to retrieve the weapon located inside.
- The Shotgun will begin this process after 3 minutes have passed. (Opens at 4.)
- The Flamethrower will begin this process after 6 minutes have passed. (Opens at 7.)
- These show up on the HUD (a bright orange "NEW WEAPON" waypoint) and on the overhead map, as long as the weapon inside has not been taken yet.
- Once the weapon is taken, the canister turns red and is no longer active.
- There is a new Match Setting the host can enable, which will turn off Flamethrower and Shotgun entirely. "No Power Weapons"
Note: This change is made to take the randomness and luck out of power weapons. In previous versions, if the Monster spawned near a Flamethrower or Shotgun, they had an immediate upper hand, based entirely on the luck of their spawn. Alternatively, a Spaceman getting a power weapon early on could also turn the tide against the Monster and prevent them from ever getting a competitive edge against the heavily armed Spacemen. I will keep an eye on this system and may also unlock weapons earlier if the Spacemen manage to complete certain objectives. For now, it's purely time-gated. I expect many heated debates (and maybe a few gunfights) to emerge over who gets the weapon when it unlocks, but that's certainly far better than leaving it up to a dice roll. - Zag
- Blast Shield Perk now nullifies ALL explosion damage for up to 1.25 seconds after Blast Shield is triggered the first time. This will prevent simultaneous (or near-simultaneous explosions) from killing someone who has the Blast Shield Perk. A common case of this would be a grenade blowing up next a door - the death-by-grenade would be blocked by Blast Shield, but the door explosion would immediately kill the Spacemen despite their Blast Shield. Now, when Blast Shield is triggered, the Spacemen will still drop in health on the initial explosion, but any subsequent explosions will be totally ignored for up to 1.25 seconds.
- Simplified lighting on doors for both aesthetic reasons (darker) and performance reasons (2 less lights per door, per level.)
- Doors now indicate if they're Broken ("REPAIR" with Welder icon) or Welded ("WELDED" with Skull icon) by yellow text on their status panel.
- Fixed the map bug, probably.
- Monster Shapeshift now decays at a rate of 0.6 every 1 second, down from 0.75 every 1 second. This means the Monster can stay shapeshifted for a bit longer.
- LORE: The Company logo now shows up in about two dozen places, ranging from health stations to keypads to EMEs, and even the occasional crate or barrel. Also on your spacesuits, in case you forgot who is providing your precious oxygen.
- Monster can no longer lay eggs while airborne.
- The Monster's killer is now indicated on the post-game scoreobard.
- Improved lighting on Security Guards
- Improved lighting on the Pilot Helmet
- End-game Scoreboard has more neat and consistent columns/titles.
- When emoting, the Emote Icon should now (once again) shows up in the bottom left, by your character's 3D portrait. (Crouch icon has been moved slightly to accommodate this.)
- Tidied up the Emote Wheel a bit.
- Fixed: Chocolate Space Milk cooldown displaying strange numbers or counting the wrong direction.
- Fixed: Text next to Perks on right side of HUD was mis-aligned with the Perk icons.
- Long Overdue Fix: Interaction can no longer occur through walls or other objects. As this is a large system that affects many things, please report any issues with interaction. (Actually, report all bugs you might find! Preferably at http://discord.gg/sandswept in the #bug_reports channel.
- The Monster is now also directly notified when there is only one Spacemen left.
- Fixed: Last Man Standing could trigger multiple times.
- Fixed: In some cases, Last Spaceman Standing can revert back to their original movement speed instead of maintaining the bonus movement speed.
- The Monster can no longer interact with or grab objects during Transformation to Monster Form.
- Fixed: If a Monsters runs out of Shapeshift Energy while transforming, they will transform twice.
- Graphical quality/resolution of the flashlight glare has been improved some.
- Further tidying up of the Abridged Spacemen's Guide to Space. (How To Play Guide, still a work in progress though!)
- Ghost Whispers are now about 25% louder on average.
- Lowered cooldown on Ghost Light Flicker ability to 15 seconds, from 20.
- Research Sample waypoints on HUD are now about 25% smaller.
- Landing Pad waypoints now only show up on HUD when holding TAB to view objective details, with the exception of the Landing Pad that the Shuttle is landing at, in which case the "RESCUE" waypoint will always be visible.
- Landing Pad waypoints should now show up on HUD properly in cases where they might have been missing.
- Landing Pad Debris now shows a small debris indicator when nearby (approx. 5 meters) to help Spacemen spot debris a bit more easily.
- Landing Pads now match the color of their status on the Overhead Map. Reddish-orange for not clear, Green when cleared of debris.
- Fixed: Research Samples and Supply Crates are no longer placed in the floor if dropped while crouching.
- Research Samples and Supply Crates now drop much closer to the person dropping them and should typically no longer be placeable (fully) inside walls or other objects.
- The Rescue Shuttle interior has changed around some, both in terms of visuals and layout.
- Generators have received a make-over and now evoke a bit more of that... "unstable mini-blackhole powering the space station" look.
- Transmitters have a brand new look, particularly with their control panel setup, making it much easier to see the status of a transmitter all in one place, and from a distance.
- Power Outage Levers now show up on the overhead map for everyone (except during a power outage.)
- The Scanner gear item now has a new look.
- The Vision Enhancer gear item now has a new look.
- The Health Syringe has had some texture improvements and is now also shinier.
- The Oxygen Tank has had some texture improvements and is now also shinier.
- Frag Grenades per map has been reduced to 3, from 4.
- The Assault Rifle, which has been in a weird place for awhile balance-wise, has undergone some drastic changes this patch. Along with its ability to zoom and its full-automatic fire rate, it now has identical stats to the Handgun with a few exceptions (slightly higher recoil and spread.) While it now has lower damage, this is a major buff to the Assault Rifle's accuracy and will make it a lot more useful than it has been in the past.
- The Flamethrower should no longer also barbecue your framerate when firing.
- New Free Visor: Laserchrome (Filthy Casual) visor, unlocked and available for everyone right away. This is a little shout-out to our friend Mike at http://www.filthycasual.com, and my way of congratulating him on his recent wedding! Way to go, buddy!
- New Free Animated Visor Set: Odyssey, a small nod to a great film. The visors come in various colors and are unlocked as you progress. (Red, 17. Blue, 19. Green, 21. Orange, 23. Purple, 25. Yellow, 26. White, 27.)
- New Free Visor: Orange Peel, unlocked at rank 26.
- New Free Animated Visor: Static. Unlocked at Level 29.
- The "Charlie" visor is now properly affected by lighting and should not longer have a strange shadow on it in cases where it did.
- New Spaceman Color: Salty (a whiteish color)
- New Spaceman Color: Porcelain (a whiteish yellowish)
- All Maps: Due to the inclusion of numerous Power Weapon Canisters on every map, many rooms have had minor tweaks to their layout and furnishing arrangements. As an additional bonus, the canisters are now present in many previously empty, unexciting, or unused areas of the maps, as well as many of the places you might expect them. Most maps now contain anywhere from 8 to 16 canisters, most of which will lie dormant for the duration of the match. Try not to trip on them.
- Outpost 13: Ambient musical track is now properly in the "Music" category and is affected by the Music Volume slider in game settings.
- Outpost 13: "Barrel Stairs" outside Freezer are a bit easier to climb
- Outpost 13: Various shadowing, graphics, furniture, and texture improvements throughout the map.
- Outpost 13: The Map room now has furnishings.
- Outpost 13: The Radio Room now has furnishings.
- Outpost 13: Fixed 2 spawns that were inside furniture. Noteworthy fix was the already-notorious "shelf-spawn" in the Freezer.
- Outpost 13: Red's Shack now has proper furnishings.
- Outpost 13: Support Building now has proper furnishings.
- Echo: Improved the visual look of Echo's doors, and added some trim lights for better spotting of doorways in the dark.
- Echo: The Generator in Maintenance has been moved back quite a bit.
- Echo: The Generator in Blue Mess has been moved closer to the exposed edge. Much closer.
- Abduction: Upon entering the UFO's Tractor Beam, Ghosts will now teleport to the top of the beam.
- Abduction: Various shadowing and other artistic improvements have been made, particularly on the Farmhouse interior.
- Abduction: Fixed issue with UFO doors acting strangely after being repaired.
- Abduction: Wood panels in main hall of the Farmhouse now have proper collision.
- Kema: Exterior lighting has been drastically darkened.
Probably working on proximity VOIP next, as it's one of the last big things affecting game balance. Expect something with that in 0.2.11!