v0.2.9 "Outpost 13"Summary: In the 6th update of 2017, Zag's dropped you a MiniVlog quickly detailing the new release! Outpost 13, a new map, and a brand new way to be dead. I hope you aren't afraid of ghosts.
We play Unfortunate Spacemen every Saturday at 11 AM PST! Join our Discord chat to take part in the fun! Also, about 90% of this patch consists of changes and fixes from direct community feedback via the Discord server. Excellent.
Change Notes:Brand New Ghost Mode!
Note: After-death spectating has been lacking for quite some time. Spacemen Heaven was a neat idea, but it removed the dead players from enjoying the remainder of the match in any significant way. I feel very strongly that a free-flying spectator camera would negatively affect the mood and atmosphere of the game, so I have devised a solution that I feel is both unique and far more satisfying, interesting, and engaging than sitting around looking at cameras and clouds. - Zag
- Heaven is no longer where you go when you die. Instead of spawning in Spaceman Heaven as "Spaceman Angels," dead spacemen now spawn in the map as an invisible Spaceman Ghost. Ghosts can haunt the living by flickering lights and whispering sweet, terrifying nothings into their ears. Ghosts also have a flashlight that only they can see, to help illuminate dark places. This "Ghost" system will be expanded on in the future. All other "after-death" rules and controls still apply, including viewing cameras or text/VOIP chat.
- All maps have been updated to support Ghosts. Please report any errant collision or other problems of that nature, as some things may have changed to support the new ghost-specific collision.
- If a Ghost falls off an edge of a map (where a Spacemen would normally die) they should reset to a spawn point. If this does not happen, please report where it happened.
NEW MAP!: Outpost 13. A frigid outpost on a desolate moon... Something lurks the snow, and has found someplace warm to call home.
Note: This map is basically what I've always wanted Kema to be. It plays in a similar room-to-room manner, but I expect it to quickly become a crowd-favorite. It is loosely based on a the same look, feel, and layout of a little snowy outpost you all know and love from John Carpenter's "The Thing." However, the actual layout and feel have been built from the ground up for Spacemen gameplay and theme. Consider it an homage to one of the greatest movies of all time! - Zag
More Compact HUD!
Note: In order to make HUD take up far less screen real-estate, and to better communicate objectives and information, many changes have been made to size, scale, icons, and text on the HUD. Most things will remain familiar, but smaller, or simply cleaner and more easy to understand at first glance. Below are those changes. - Zag
- Time and "Objective Summary" have been moved to the top-center of the screen. Objectives panel has been moved up some in the top-left to fill the vacant area of the HUD.
- Round time font size has been greatly increased.
- "Objective Summary" is now much better, and is far informative. For example, when the Rescue Shuttle lands, it will read something like "Board the Rescue Shuttle. Shuttle Departs at 00:30..." if you're a Spaceman. The Monster will get entirely different messages now, such as "Prevent Spacemen from boarding the Rescue Shuttle. Shuttle Departs at 00:30..."
- Hit Direction Indicator is now about 25% smaller.
- Perk icons and text on the right-hand side of the HUD are now about 50% smaller. By holding TAB you can still view the names of your perks.
- Time and Rescue text in the upper left corner of the HUD is now about 20% smaller.
- Generator / Power Outage Status at the bottom of the HUD is now centered and roughly 50% smaller.
- HUD Bottom Left: "Player Stats" are about 40% smaller than they were before.
- HUD Bottom Right: Some parts of the bottom right "Item Area" have been made smaller.
- Most text has been reduced in size, including "Press E to Interact" text.
- Flashlight, Keycard, and Crouching Indicator icons have had their artwork drastically improved.
- Many item icons have had their contrast increased for better identification of what you're holding in your item slots.
- Fixed: If a Monster has a keycard, their Monster Level shows up on top of the keycard icon. (Now the icons appear next to one another.)
- Fixed: Hit Direction Indicator shows up in the center of the screen for 1 frame.
- Time warnings (2 minutes remaining, 5 minutes remaining, etc.) now show up on the lower portion of the HUD, and will typically no longer cross over other text. - Damage Indicator Direction on HUD is now much smarter and always faces the location the damage originated from. This should make damage direction much more clear to the player.
- "Board the Shuttle" message on HUD has been changed to say "Shuttle Now Accessible"
- If power is out and Transmitters are not finished, the Transmitter Objective status on HUD is now red, and says "RESTORE POWER" (Spacemen) or "PREVENT POWER RESTORATION" (Monster). This is intended to help new players understand that power must be ON for the Transmitters to function.
- All of our "Unfortunate Space Crew" pre-alpha (very early) testers have received a unique "Retro" visor. If you were one of the people who helped test the game before the Steam release and do not have your unique "Retro" visor, please contact Zag on Discord or elsewhere regarding this matter.
- "Dilated" visor has had some art changes to be more in line with other eyeball visors.
- Stun Baton duration has been reduced to 2.5 seconds, from 3.
- Stun Baton charges reduced to 4, from 6.
- Stun Baton charges now show in the bottom right corner of the HUD, by the item slots.
- Translucency has been improved and should no longer cause portions of the HUD to disappear when glass or similar surfaces are visible.
- Vision Enhancer Gear Item "wallhack/thermal" vision has been greatly improved in terms of visibility of lifeforms, and you can now see much further when using that vision mode.
- Fixed: Flashlight beam was always on when spawning and would only turn off once the flashlight was turned on and then off again.
- Potential fix for issue where Spacemen would not be able to leave the camera system with the 4 key. If this issue occurs, please report it. In the meantime, a workaround is to press the SPACE key (jump) instead.
- Monster's Shapeshift energy now starts at maximum if the monster has the Patience Perk.
- Last Man Standing now has a new sound effect.
- Improved artwork on Research Sample
- Fixed: Power could not be turned off by swiping the lever with Monster Claws.
- Abduction: Shelf room on the first floor of the farmhouse has had some artistic changes, and no longer has shelves with missing sides.
- Architects: Fixed an issue where being launched out of an EME would cause the Spaceman to collide with an invisible ceiling in some areas of the map. - Architects: Reduced fog/dust by 25% resulting in an increase in longer-distance visibility. - Architects: Ambient lighting reduced by about 50%. - Bar: Billiard tables now have proper balls and pool cues. - Gardens: Ambient lighting reduced by about 50%. - Hypertrain: Overall "ambient" lighting is now 150% darker. - Hypertrain: Fixed missing glass on rear exterior side of Orange Car. - Hypertrain: Tons of colored accent lighting has been added to each car and landing pad area, making it much easier to understand your location on the map. - Hypertrain: Some walls that were solid are now glass, creating longer sight-lines in some areas, particularly in the Green "Bunk Car." - Hypertrain: The horn can now be heard across the entire length of the train. - Hypertrain: Along with various visual updates, the thrusters on the train now emit some noise. - Hypertrain: There is now a very mild vibration/shake at all times on Hypertrain, to make it feel more like you're on a train.
- Fixed: Sometimes customization panels (Visor picker etc.) could get stuck on screen when Host started the game in lobby. [Thanks x_wolfpawn for finding that one!]
Okay, so I guess Hylophobia didn't come out like I said it would. Instead it was a different, totally awesome map. Maybe Hylophobia is next. We'll see what I get up to for 0.2.10!